If an 802 driver has the tangerine phase plug, it's an 802-8G correct? Or maybe a -16G?
See attached photo.
ron
If an 802 driver has the tangerine phase plug, it's an 802-8G correct? Or maybe a -16G?
See attached photo.
ron
You are correct Ron, but your pic shows an 806 body which appears to be a model 23746 HF driver from a 9849 monitor. It should have a new style back cover, a 23744 "light" phragm, and a steel annular slit phase plug.
As far as i know those drivers are unique and only found in the 9849's, fine sounding driver and best of the 806's IMO.
Not all vegetables make good leaders.
The owner says he see's orange when he looks down the driver throat.......
Says tangerine to me. Right?
And these are from 9849 monitors. Seems altec made many variations!
Where I get confused is with the 806's. I have only owned these:
I gather the later 806 body is different from the 802?
Were there any 806 drivers with the tangerine phase plug?
I see the body in my orig photo is a bit samller.
I don't want to ask the seller to remove the diaphram, too easy to damage if you haven't done it before.
As I've stated, my 9849 has the 902-16A driver and a 414-8E woof.
Ron

Not as such. Essentially the 806 was discontinued, it was the cheaper model and the cost of Alnico ended it's life.
The same driver was still used in cabs with the tangerine, but you couldn't buy one separately. It carried a part number rather than 806 designation. It was, technically a Tangerine 806, just not labeled so.
However, just like the new style frames, tangerines can appear in later 802, 806 and 807 drivers that aren't supposed to have them. They usually have old style covers though, those have new style covers and are supposed to be tangerine.
I owned a pair of 807's with tangerines and old style covers.
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
Crikey! Altec was really the Johnny Cash of audio wasn't it?
"Well it's a 49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59 automobile. Well it's a 60,61,62,63....."
One piece at time, brother.
No Tangerines here.
Some of the bug screens have a definite bronze/orange tint, without a good pic it's hard to be sure what the owner is looking at.The owner says he see's orange when he looks down the driver throat.......
I've also seen plenty of tangerine equipped drivers where the tangerine wasn't easily seen because of the bug screen either being dirty or of a color/finish that obscured the view thru the throat.
Definitely a later version with mud motors. Odd that the HF is 16 ohm, i wonder if the crossover was revised accordingly.As I've stated, my 9849 has the 902-16A driver and a 414-8E woof.
They made 9849's for a long time and there were undoubtedly many changes along the way, probably impossible to catch them all. The earliest ones were a sealed box and 900hz XO, most uncommon IMO.
Not all vegetables make good leaders.
Bookmarks